Friday, October 28, 2016

The joys of baking... on a boat

   
   I had a bit of a cooking mishap a couple of weeks ago that nearly made me cry, I was laughing so hard. Believe it or not, this is supposed to be a loaf of banana bread...



     It was a much needed occasion for laughter, let me tell you. We were having some difficulties regarding the house we own here in town for a while. First we had to evict our tenants and the house was left a mess. Then, to add insult to injury, our house was broken into, which left us with more damage and mess to deal with. However, that problem is slowly being resolved.
     Keep the stress that had me dealing with in mind as I relate this. We had bananas that were way past their prime and my family had been bugging me to make banana bread. We have been living on Kyrie for ten months. You would think I would have the oven in the galley figured out by now, but it is not always a perfect operation. I was never a big baker before moving on the boat, and that was with a fantastic gas oven that told me when it was up to the proper temperature and held that temperature. This oven likes to turn itself off occasionally and I don't totally trust the thermometer. Not to mention that even opening the door allows the temperature to drop about ten degrees. Oh well. It's just an appliance. I shouldn't be scared of it, right?
     Right. I would face my "fears" and make my family a delicious loaf of banana bread, and not just ordinary banana bread. A while back, I found a recipe for Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Banana Bread on the website Thirty Handmade Days. Here's the link to the recipe. Thank you Mique for creating this recipe! It's delicious!
     Now you have the option of going to the source for the recipe, but if you would like to recreate what I made, well, follow along closely.

Light the oven and watch the temperature climb as you grease the loaf pan and combine all your ingredients.
When combined, pour batter into the loaf pan and place it in the oven. Realize the oven thermometer reads 425 degrees, when you need to bake the bread at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes and turn the dial down slightly, not wanting the temperature to drop too much. Set timer for 50 minutes.
Check oven 20 minutes later, only to discover it still reads almost 400 degrees. Turn dial down more and vow to check again in 5 minutes.
Get distracted and forget to check oven until kids pipe up with, "Mom, something's burning!" Check the oven and see the thermometer reads 375. Check the bread and see it's rather black around the edges. Decide perhaps it's time to check the loaf. It appears to be done in the middle and hopefully salvagable.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
After cooling, attempt to remove loaf from pan... keep trying.
Finally whack pan upside down on a cutting board and be prepared for an explosion of deliciousness as the sides refuse to release their grip on the pan and the entire inside of the loaf explodes all over the counter.
Gather the mess in a container for safe keeping while laughing hysterically with your children. Suggest serving over vanilla ice cream! (Another suggestion: let the pan soak a few days before attempting to wash it)

No comments:

Post a Comment