Thursday, April 5, 2018

Thoughts from a boat mama


     Being a mom is hard. Don't get me wrong. I've been a mama for almost 11 years now and most days, I love it far more than I find it... complicated. (Side note: my first born is going to be 11 years old in a little more than a week!) But being a boat mama takes it to a whole new level sometimes...

     I've kept this blog fairly light since I started keeping it, mostly keeping it to our travels when we're able to get Kyrie out. But let's face it--this is our life, and sometimes it's good to open up and let others see the messiness underneath.
     I know there are lots of families out there who will agree with this statement: living on a boat with kids is hard. I don't regret making this choice, but it is hard. It's been especially so this winter, considering how cold and windy it has been. Joe and I talked with a friend in Douglas Harbor last night who said he's been living there for nine years and this was the worst winter he's seen yet, and in Douglas, that's saying something! Between getting school done--don't get me started on that struggle with the kids this winter!--and doing chores, I quite often feel there isn't enough time in the day to do everything I'd like to do.
     What do I want to do? Write on this blog, among other things. Here's a secret about me: I love to write. I really do. A journal and pen or on a computer--once I get going, it doesn't matter. There is a freedom in letting my fingers do the talking. I'm one of those people who get tongue-tied easily and have a difficult time articulating my thoughts vocally, but give me an outlet for a print dialogue, and I can wax eloquent! The problem I have discovered, though, is that it takes me a bit of time to settle into those thoughts, to let the walls down and allow my fingers to speak for me. It can be rather difficult to get that time when three kids are always within 20 feet of me and either want me to help with school work or read a book, or are squabbling with each other and keeping me from concentrating!
     Ah, that squawk of my own felt really nice. As I said, this has been a hard winter. Today is windy, although not as gusty so far as the weather service called for, and definitely less than 40 degrees. It's April! Joe and I have been watching the weather report, waiting to take Kyrie's cover off until overnight temperatures stay above freezing, and it just isn't happening yet.
     That's okay though. This is our second Juneau winter on Kyrie, and there is just one left. Despite the insanity, I know we're living the life we want to live. Two different friends posted quotes on Instagram a few days ago that resonated with me.
                                    
      Both these quotes fill me with peace. Years ago, Joe and I chose what we wanted to create for our life together. Whenever a difficulty is thrown our way, I keep reminding myself, "This is the path we wanted to take. Bumps and slight detours are bound to occur, but we will stay this course." Adventure awaits us, and I'm not willing to settle for less any more.

1 comment:

  1. Kristen, I feel so many of the same feelings and thoughts that you do! I also love to write but agree that it takes some time to settle into it and get the thoughts flowing. I'm sorry you're having a tough winter - this winter has been far kinder to us down here in Portland than last winter was. But last winter, our first winter aboard, was the worst winter that I remember (granted, some of that was probably just that, being on a boat, I was much more aware of the weather than ever before!) but we came out still loving the lifestyle and ready for more. Hang in there. Stay strong and keep your eyes on the prize! :) Warmly, Rachel (SV Mosaic)

    ReplyDelete