Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Thoughts from under the air conditioner

     This will be a little less of the "what we've been up to," and more of a "what's going on in Kristen's head" post. We arrived in San Carlos on June 26, I think. Our reservation in the marina wasn't until July 1, so we had to drop anchor in the bahia for a few days. Those few days reinforced in my mind that we made the right decision. It was hot, with very little air movement, and the water temperature has risen enough that jumping in simply isn't enough for refreshment. 
      I can't remember now who told me this, but I thought it excellent advice. She said that she has figured out that for her own sanity (and that of whoever else is on the boat with her!), she needs a few days to a week in a marina every month. Normally, we try to avoid marinas, even if for no other reason than to extend our cruising funds! However, I know how Joe and I react to the heat. We lived in the central valley of California for the first six years of our marriage and tempers rose as the mercury climbed. Knowing we would be in Mexico this summer, without any easy way to get back to the states and potentially cooler environs, a decision had to be made--do we stay out in places to anchor, where we can self-isolate much more easily, explore a little bit, and potentially turn Kyrie into a powder keg with five roasting people, who will then say we can't take it anymore and end our cruising time? Or do we bite the bullet, fork over the money, don the masks, and plug in that air conditioner, considering it all an acceptable price to hopefully continue our cruising journey? 
        The wanderlust has not been satiated. The desire to travel is still strong. Therefore, for our sanity, we have made the decision to tie up here for the summer. It's not ideal, I have to admit. San Carlos is very quiet. The marina has lots of empty slips and most of the boats that are here are unoccupied. It does make this time of socially distancing easier--less people to avoid!--but it makes for long days. The whole crew usually spends time at the table simply because that's where the best air flow from the air conditioner is. Can you guess where I'm sitting right now to type this?
          The hope, of course, is that somehow, Covid-19 will slow down and life can assume some semblance of normalcy. Will that mean we can continue to explore? Will other countries be open to us arriving, visiting for a while, and then moving on? Right now, we hope to work our way south, starting in the fall, and being in Panama by May, in order to transit the canal and move on to the Caribbean. Will that happen? This time, more than ever, is a time to not make big plans far off. I've never before experienced so much living my life day-to-day, but that's what has happened. Restrictions alter, places open and close with remarkable rapidity and just when I think I've adjusted to whatever is going on, the rules change and I have to learn them anew.
          I miss people. I am not an introvert. While I like having time to myself when I need to get thoughts down on paper, I tend to recharge by spending time with friends. My batteries are rather low lately. I love my family, but it's hard to constantly be in this bubble. However, this is where I am right now, and I'm learning to revise my expectations. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the title, Kristen! Blowing some cool Alaskan air your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an expressive post!! I feel your ebb and flow. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete