Tuesday, January 30, 2018

You know you live on a boat when....


 
... you know your husband is home from work because the boat tips slightly as he steps aboard.
... you don't buy gallons of milk because they just don't fit in the fridge.
... your kids consider it normal to put backpacks on over life jackets before a walk to the car.
... lifting up a mattress and drying underneath is a regular chore.
... it's completely understandable to have to remake your bed after putting groceries away in the fridge or a pantry.



    I could go on and on, but the biggest thing about living on a boat is what you don't do when suddenly you aren't living on said boat! We're house sitting for two weeks for Joe's parents while they are on vacation, and while I do admit that I'm thoroughly enjoying it, life seems a bit weird without being crammed together at the table. In fact, the kids still try to pack together at dinner because they are so used to sitting close together at meals, even though the table here is huge! I think we all like not having to move everything out of the way when something is needed from the can pantry under the settee, or the fridge under Levi's bunk.
    This time of year, especially, I admit it's really nice to be off Kyrie. She is able to dry out completely without the five of us breathing and adding all sorts of moisture to the air. The house is totally warm--I've actually heard myself complaining I was hot! Access to a full-size stove and oven has allowed me to cook some meals I just can't cook in Kyrie's galley. And we accomplished a big decor project last weekend!
     The cushions at our table are covered in material that is definitely not kid-friendly. I'm not sure what it's made from, but even water leaves stains on it, so you can imagine what three kids eating have done to those covers, even when they do get pulled off to be washed. So at last, Joe and I decided that when we house sat, we would haul over the cushions and sewing machine, buy some vinyl and get those cushions recovered in material that doesn't care what we spill on it! After a lot of bouncing back and forth, we took a page out of Brittany Meyers's book (Check out her family's adventures in the BVI here) and used white vinyl. "White?! With kids?" I hear asked in astonishment. First off, I'm just as likely as anyone to spill jam on the seat. Second, we checked it out already and with all the wood on Kyrie, that white is going to transform her look inside. I promise as soon as we take all the cushions back, I'll take pictures so you can see how she looks. I'm really excited for the change.
     We have one more week here in the house before Joe's parents return and we move back to Kyrie. While I'm enjoying parking in a garage, being able to sit in a recliner and not having to vacate my seat every time someone wants a snack, and taking hot showers every day, I'm not home. Kyrie is most definitely home and I'm looking forward to going back to our floating home.

No comments:

Post a Comment