Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Winter just won't quit!


     It is March, isn't it? What with the east coast getting blasted by winter storms and the National Weather Service issuing a warning of 5-10 inches of snow for the Juneau area, it's obvious Old Man Winter isn't done yet. I seem to remember us getting dumped on last year around this time too! The big kids are happy though, because our local ski slopes have finally sent out word that the homeschool kids can sign up for lessons, so even though it's a much shorter session than it's supposed to be, my little ski bums can finally get back up on the mountain. They start on Friday and I'm bracing myself for absolutely nothing in the way of school work being done that day. That's okay though. I'm excited for them and I doubt I'll have the heart to try to get them to work. It will probably be one of the few times Levi may be up and out of bed before me!
     We made our plans for the summer--weekend trips with the sailing club, a couple of cruising vacations for us--and now I'm feeling really antsy! In about a month, it should have warmed up enough that we can remove Kyrie's winter cover and then head back to our usual berth in Douglas. We need to get back and claim our spot because I've already heard of several people asking if our spot is available. That end tie is apparently a hot commodity!
     I don't have any photos yet, but Joe and Levi worked last weekend on an update to Kyrie that has been a long time coming. Somehow, we have managed for two years with five of us using Kyrie's tiny little table. The project in the works is a new table that will be the full length of the seats. As much as we love the wood, with three kids using the table eating, doing school work, and everything else, this table will be covered with white Formica--easy to clean, just like the new vinyl seat covers. As soon as it's done and installed, I'll show it off with another picture or two.
     You know, looking at that photo, I can see we didn't get the new covers as tight as would be preferred, but considering that was the first time Joe and I had ever made covers like those, I'm still pretty pleased with the job!
     There is always something new to do to make Kyrie just right for us. For instance, Joe put a guard over the fan in our dish cupboard to keep fingers from getting chewed up anymore! It hurt when the fan bit my finger, but I sure am glad it was me, and not one of the kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment